Becoming a naturalized citizen; Cambridge immigration lawyer explains the general requirements

Naturalization is the procedure by which a foreign citizen or national obtains US citizenship. If you meet the requirements for naturalization, a naturalization lawyer can help you prepare and submit all the required documentation.

When you meet with an naturalization lawyer at Ionson Law, we will explain the requirements for naturalization to you in more detail.  Here is an overview of the general requirements.  Different requirements apply if you are married to a US citizen, or if you have qualifying service in the US armed forces.

Green card holders not married to a US citizen

You will be eligible for US citizenship if you meet the following requirements:


  • You are at least 18.

Green card

  • You have held a green card for at least five years before filing the Application for Naturalization.


  • You have lived within the state where you are applying for at least three months before filing your Application for Naturalization.
  • You have resided continuously in the United States as a green card holder for at least five years immediately before filing your Application.  Continuous residence means you have not left the United States for a long period, e.g., six months or more.
  • You have been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the five years immediately before filing your Application.
  • You reside continuously within the United States from the date of your Application up to the time you are naturalized.

Education and character

  • You are able to read, write, and speak English and have sufficient knowledge of U.S. history and government, which will be determined by a test.
  • You have a good moral character and are willing to support and defend the United States and its Constitution.

Contact us for assistance with immigration and naturalization

Immigration and naturalization paperwork can be complex and confusing.  For professional guidance with all your immigration issues, contact a naturalization lawyer at Ionson Law.  Call us today at (781) 674-2562 to arrange a free consultation.

This entry was posted in Immigration, Naturalization. Bookmark the permalink.