An Immigration Lawyer in Woburn Massachusetts Discusses Getting a visitor’s (B-1 or B-2) visa

If you wish to enter the U.S. temporarily for business, pleasure, or medical treatment, you may need a visitor’s visa.  The B-1 visa is for business, while the B-2 visa is for tourism or medical treatment.  They are often issued together.  Many individuals are able to obtain a visitor’s visa without help from an immigration lawyer in Woburn.  You, however,  may need a lawyer’s help if you are from a country known or suspected to sponsor terrorism, have ever overstayed a visa, or have had a visa request denied in the past.

Scope of visa

A B1 visa permits you to enter the U.S. for business purposes such as attending meetings and conferences, buying goods, negotiating contracts, and doing temporary work for an employer outside the U.S.  You cannot be paid by a U.S. source or operate your own business.

A B-2 visa permits you to visit the U.S. solely for pleasure or medical treatment.

Typically on a B-2 visa, you are allowed to stay for up to six months.  On a B-1 visa, you may be permitted to stay for as long as a year.


To apply for a B visa, you must prepare your application materials and present them to an official at the U.S. consulate.  The application materials include the application itself, your passport, a passport photo, documents that show the purpose of your trip, and proof that you have the financial means to cover your expenses.

At your interview, a consular officer will review your materials and question you about your financial resources and ties to your home country.  The officer wants to make sure you intend to remain in the U.S. only temporarily and that you won’t need public assistance while here.  If the officer gets the impression that you have any intention of staying in the U.S. permanently, you will probably not get your visa.

In addition to your interview, security checks are necessary that could delay your visa a few days to weeks.

Visa Waiver Program

You may be able to come to the U.S. as a tourist or business visitor without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program.  You must come from a participating country; thirty-seven countries currently participate.  You may stay in the U.S. for up to 90 days.  As a general rule, you are not permitted to extend your stay.  You can get further information about the program at

For help with your immigration problems

If you need assistance with any type of visa application or other immigration problem, call the an immigration lawyer in Woburn at Ionson Law today.  To schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer in Woburn, call us today at (781) 674-2562 to schedule a free consultation.