Woburn Massachusetts Green Card Attorney Responds: How Do I Get a Green Card for My Fiancé or Spouse?

If you are a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident, and you are married to a non-citizen, your foreign spouse may be eligible for a green card. If you are a U.S. citizen, your fiancé may eligible for a green card. Every visa application requires many steps, including application forms, a medical examination, fingerprinting, and lots of waiting. A Woburn Massachusetts green card attorney can guide you through the complex application process.

If you are not a U.S. citizen but have a green card, you cannot bring your fiancé to the U.S.; you can only bring a spouse.  Your spouse, however, may have to wait quite a while to obtain a green card.

Your first step is to file either a fiancé visa petition or an immigrant visa petition. Your Woburn Massachusetts green card attorney can help you prepare the appropriate petition and gather the most compelling evidence. The following are the requirements for the fiancé visa and the marriage visa:

Spouse Green Cards

To be eligible for a green card based on marriage, the foreign spouse must be:

  • Legally married to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
  • Not married to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident who is already married to someone else.
  • Not also married to someone else.

You can prove you are legally married by submitting a copy of your marriage certificate. To prove that the marriage is not a sham just to obtain a green card, you will have to submit documents such as joint checking statements, children’s birth certificates, wedding photos, love letters, and anything else that may establish a legitimate marriage.

Fiancé Visas

To qualify for a fiancé visa, the immigrant fiancé must:

  • Be legally able to marry.
  • Intend to marry a U.S. citizen.
  • Have met the citizen in person within the last two years.

To prove these elements, you will have to provide documents such as copies of your love letters, engagement ring receipt, phone bills, and engagement party photos. To prove that you have met within the last two years, you will have to submit such things as photographs, plane tickets, and hotel bills.

General Admissibility to the U.S.

Everyone applying for an immigrant visa must prove that he or she is eligible for admission to the United States. Inadmissibility may be based on such grounds as having a communicable disease or an extensive criminal background, or national security issues.

Contact Us

For assistance with a green card for a spouse or fiancé or any other immigration problem, contact a Woburn Massachusetts green card attorney at Ionson Law. Call 781-674-2562 to schedule a free telephone consultation.